Short term Schengen visas (not exceeding 90 days period)
A visa is only a preliminary permission for entry, which does not authorize it’s bearer automatically to enter the country. The traveller may be requested to provide proof of the existence of the conditions of her/his entry and stay in Hungary and, if she/he is not able to fulfill this, she/he may be returned from the border.
Where to submit a visa application?
Schengen visa applications have to be submitted:
- at the representation of the country which is the main destination of the visit;
- if the applicant plans to visit more Schengen countries with the same purpose, applications should be lodged at the representation of the country with the longest duration of stay;
- if the main destination cannot be determined, the visa process shall be started by the consulate of the first schengen country intend to be visited.
General requirements when applying for a short stay visa (C):
- Personal appearance due to biometric (fingerprint) enrollment above the age of 12;
- Completed and signed application form (the application form can be downloaded from the website of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade);
- 1 passport photo (white background) - not older than 6 months;
- Valid passport (NOTE: the passport shall contain at least two blank pages, issued within 10 years before the submission of the visa application and it’s validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen area);
- a certificate proving lawful stay, if the applicant is not a citizen of Bulgaria (eg. Bulgarian ID);
- travel medical insurance valid throughout the territory of the Schengen area and covering the entire period of the applicant’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be €30,000;
- Proof of accommodation (eg. valid hotel reservation);
- Proof of financial means (bank statement from the last three months, employment contract) – prooving to have sufficient financial coverage throughout the visit;
- Proof of transportation (flight/bus/train ticket, car documents – Talon);
- Documents indicating the purpose of the journey:
- Tourism: prepaid hotel reservation or certificate of the travel agency in case of organized trips
- Educational, training purpose: invitation letter from the receiving institution, proof of enrollment
- Business: letter of invitation from the business partner, certificate from employer
- Medical treatment: certificate from the receiving health institution
- Conference: invitation letter issued by the host organization, proof of registration
- Sport event: invitation letter issued by the host organization, proof of registration
Please note, that the Consulate can request further documents or certificates in addition to the ones already attached to the application!
Important! If you are a third country national family member of an EU/EEA citizen, please click here!
- Application for uniform visa (C): 60 EUR
- For citizens of certain countries (eg. Russia, Ukraine) the visa fee is 35 EUR. In case of urgent travels, - starting within 3 days of the date of the lodging of an application - the visa fee is 70 EUR.
- Children from the age of six years and below the age of 12 years: 35 EUR
- Children under six years: waived
- The fee shall be paid in euros.
- Payment can be made in cash only.
- The visa fee shall be paid when the application is submitted.
- Visa fee is not refunded in case the application is rejected.
Although our consulate tries to issue visas as soon as possible, please note, that in general, applications must be decided on within 15 calendar days of the date of the lodging of an application. This period may be extended up to a maximum of 30 calendar days in individual cases.
Due to the abovementioned process time the Consulate does not take any responsibility for delayed submission and for therefore failed travels.