Documents required from family members of EU/EEA citizens


Third country national family members of EU/EEA* citizens travelling together with their EU/EEA national family member or travel in order to join the EU/EEA national family member in Hungary can apply for a visa free of charge.



  • Personal appearance due to biometric (fingerprint) enrollment above the age of 12;

  • Completed and signed application form (the application form can be downloaded from the website of the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade);

  • 1 passport photo (white background) - not older than 6 months;

  • Valid passport (NOTE: the passport shall contain at least two blank pages, issued within 10 years before the submission of the visa application and it’s validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen area);

  • A certificate proving lawful stay, if the applicant is not a citizen of Bulgaria (eg. Bulgarian ID);

  • The EU/EEA citizen’s passport or ID;

  • Proof of family relationship (certificate of birth, marriage or civil partnership);

  • Hungarian marriage certificate if the EU/EEA national is a Hungarian citizen;

  • Proof of joint transportation - traveling together with an EU/EEA family member - (flight/bus/train ticket, car documents – “Talon”);

  • Travel medical insurance valid throughout the territory of the Schengen area and covering the entire period of the applicant’s intended stay or transit. The minimum coverage shall be €30,000.

Please note, that the Consulate can request further documents or certificates in addition to the ones already attached to the application!


Applicants not accompanied by their EU/EEA national family member or not travelling to Hungary to join their EU/EEA national family member, are required to apply according to the regular Schengen visa procedures.


*EU/EEA = European Union / European Economic Area (includes Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland)