Entry for long stay (period exceeding 90 days)
Regulations on a stay exceeding 90 days fall within the competence of national authorities, therefore there is no uniform routine among the Schengen Member States. Foreign nationals requesting entry to Hungary with a purpose of a long stay may submit a residence permit application. In case of a successful application, a single entry (D) visa (with validity of 30 days) is issued authorizing the applicant to receive his/her residence permit. The decision on the residence permit falls within the scope of the regional directorates of the Immigration and Asylum Office.
Depending on the purpose of entry, different supporting documents and application forms should be submitted.
- Personal appearance due to biometric (fingerprint) enrollment;
- Completed and signed application form;
- 1 passport photo (white background) - not older than 6 months;
- Valid passport (NOTE: the passport shall contain at least two blank pages, issued within 10 years before the submission of the visa application and it’s validity shall extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen area);
- supporting documents of the purpose of stay;
- justification of the permit of return or further travel;
- supporting documents of the accommodation;
- the documents certifying subsistence in Hungary;
- health insurance.
The fee for the residence permit application is 60 EUR. As a general rule, the regional directorate processes the application within 30 days.
For detailed information about the requirements and application forms for the different types of residence permits can be found on the website of the Immigration and Asylum Office (http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?lang=en).